Monday, August 10, 2009

Ben Stein Dismissed From NYTimes Gig

The NY Times has ended Ben Stein's column after his conflict of interest as a spokesperson for FreeScore.com. Of course Stein disagrees with the Times position. He states that he was fired for being critical of President Obama. Stein wrote a column about finance and economics.

Stein says:
“But somehow, these people bamboozled some of the high pooh-bahs at the Times into thinking there was a conflict of interest. In an e-mail sent to me by a person I had never met nor even heard of, I was fired. (I read the e-mail while having pizza at the Seattle airport on my way to Sandpoint.) I called the editor and explained the situation. He said the problem was ‘the appearance’ of conflict of interest. I asked how that could be when I never wrote about the subject at all. He said the real problem was that FreeScore was a major financial company and I wrote about finance. But, as I told him, FreeScore was a small Internet aggregator, not a bank or insurer."
Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... Unlikely they didn't like his Obama column. He's just playing victim.

However, If freecreditscore.com is not a lending institution or does not have a financial consulting function then it truly is not conflict of interest...at least in my opinion.

On another note...
I think Stein is usually a reasonable (or at least principled) conservative...but its hard to square his intelligence with his "intelligent design" argument...but that's unqualified since I haven't seen his silly movie on the subject. "Silly" because any defense of "ID" is so by default.

eb

Add to Technorati Favorites